Writer and expert /
Sick and tired of shaving your legs every other day? No time for trips to the salon? Embarrassed to show that unwanted hair to a stranger?
Hello, home waxing!
Say what? You and your best friend tried to wax each others legs when you were 15, it went horribly wrong and that’s the last time you’ve bought home wax?
Home waxing products have improved greatly over the years with innovative designs and ingredients making it as painless and hassle free as possible. So here’s our tips for Salon Perfect Smoothness at Home.
Strip wax is the traditional method of waxing, great for larger areas such as legs, arms, back and chest. The wax is spread on thinly to the skin with a spatula in the direction of hair growth and a paper or cloth strip is applied over the wax. Press firmly, hold skin taut and pull the strip away (in the opposite direction of hair growth).
Lycon SoBerry Delicious Cartridge Strip Wax 100ml $4.95
Caron Brilliance Microwaveable Strip Wax 800ml $26.55
Caron Dair Non Woven Strips 300pk $9.46
Hot wax has is great especially for those sensitive or delicate areas such as underarms, face and bikini waxing. The wax is applied in the consistency resembling an orange peel to the skin in the direction of hair growth. Use a smaller spatula for these delicate areas. Wait 30-60 seconds, or until the wax is dry to touch, then flick up at one corner and rip off in the opposite direction of hair growth.
Caron Dair Hard Wax Melts 500g $12.30
Lycon Lycojet Desert Rose Hot Wax 1kg $29.95
1. Before you begin, ensure your hairs are long enough (or short enough) to get waxed. Experts recommend hair should be between 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch. *gets ruler out*
2. There is mandatory prep when it comes to any hair removal- a good scrub! Exfoliating prior to waxing will help prevent ingrown hairs by removing dead skin cells. Investing in a glove or scrub will aid to perfect smoothness. He-Shi Exfoliating Gloves designed for exfoliating before self-tanning, work perfectly in wax prepping. When using a body scrub opt for an oil-free one such as Lycon Oil Free Sugar Scrub – Lycon have a full range available which will leave you smooth and smelling good – check out this coconut and vanilla scented scrub – Delish!
Lycon Oil Free Sugar Scrub 520g $17.95
3. Now you’re finished and notice that you’re feeling a bit icky and sticky? That’s easily fixed, just apply some baby powder to those sweaty areas which will soak up excess moisture and allow for a better grip.
4. Heat the wax up in pot according to manufacturer’s instructions and test the temperature on your wrist before you begin. Too cold and it won’t spread. Too hot and ouch you will feel the burn (not in the good way).
A larger wax pot will hold more wax – perfect for those full body de-fuzz sessions.
Beautypro Professional Wax Pot 1000cc $107.87
If you will only be waxing smaller areas then a compact wax pot may suit your needs better.
Lycon Lycopro Baby Wax Heater $41.95
If you will be using a combination of strip and hot wax then a duo heater is for you!
Lycon Lycopro Duo Professional Wax Heater $132.00
Make sure spatulas are in your waxing kit.
*Top tip* buy larger spatulas which are ideal for larger areas e.g. legs and snap in half length ways when using them for smaller areas e.g. eyebrows
Lycon Waxing Spatulas Body Tongue Depressors 100 Pack $2.95
Your skin deserves an after wax lotion when you have completed the waxing, it will reduce irritation and sooth the skin.
Satin Smooth Satin Cool Aloe Skin Soother Gel 473ml $18.95 is great and can also be used after a day in the sun!
1. Make sure skin is clean and exfoilated
2. Heat wax up
3. Test temperature
4. Apply wax with a spatula to skin in direction of hair growth
5. Apply strip if strip wax, or wait for wax to dry if hot wax
6. Hold skin taut with other hand
7. Pull away in opposite direction of hair growth and as close to the skin as possible
8. Apply pressure to the area
9. Admire your work
10. If you notice any sneaky single hairs, use tweezers to remove them and use an oil based product (vegetable oil or baby oil will work) to remove any remaining bits of wax
11. Apply an after-wax
Always make sure you follow the manufacturers guidelines and instructions when waxing, now go buy that short dress and high heel and get those pins out!
Have you had any experience with home waxing?
How’d it work out for you?
I'm a journalism grad and avid makeup fan with an unhealthy addiction to buying nude lipsticks, no matter how similar they all may seem. I love chatting to anyone who will listen about my new favourite products, skincare dos and don'ts and practically any other beauty-related topic under the sun. That doesn't mean I'm frivolous with my recommendations, though--you can count on me to give you the nitty gritty on all your wishlist products. In my spare time, you'll find me binge-watching old episodes of Gilmore Girls or at brunch with a large iced coffee in my hand.
The No! No! Hair is considered to be the “number one hair remover in the world” by top beauty experts such as Allure magazine, InStyle, Cosmopolitan, Elegant Bride and dozens of others.
2013-10-15 10:17:30 •
2013-07-03 20:32:58 •
2013-07-02 17:47:18 •
2011-05-26 16:00:36 •