Writer and expert /
There are so many hair products on the market – what we love the most is something that provides multiple benefits while being easy to use.
Hair oil anyone?
The number of benefits from a hair oil are numerous and there’s so many ways you can use them depending on your hair type and level of laziness.
Hair oils are rich in vitamins and minerals that help to keep hair healthy. Healthy hair is stronger, less prone to split ends and breakage and looks shiny and more beautiful. Hair oils also help to condition hair and detangle hair allowing for easier comb through and is great for ultimate hydration. If your hair is fine or already quite oily, you may have been scared to try oils in the past – but the new formulas on the market leave you with nothing to fear. They’re lightweight, leave no residue and won’t leave your hair feeling weighed down.
There are so many ways to use a hair oil depending on what you’re trying to achieve for your hair.
1. The first is after you wash your hair, grab a pea sized amount of your favourite hair oil, and rub into the ends of your hair. Try to keep away from scalp if possible as that area generates its own natural oils. Comb through – this is important for even distribution of product to make sure you don’t end up with really oily hunks in your hair. This helps to detangle hair before styling, seal the cuticle and protect the hair from further heat damage like straightening or blow drying.
2. Use your hair oil as a weekly treatment. Just as good as a hair mask – without the heavy feeling. Do as above, but really lock the moisture in by wrapping your damp, well oiled hair in a towel for 10-20 minutes. You’ll be surprised at how soft your hair feels!
3. Apply to dry hair to smooth away frizz and flyaways.
4. Apply the night before your colour appointment at the hair salon to ensure your hair isn’t damaged from processing.
5. Hair oil works as a great curl definer too. If you’ve got curly hair, scrunch a bit of hair oil into damp hair and then let air dry – no more frizzy mess!
6. Use before shampoo to prevent hair from drying out. Just evenly distribute on dry hair before jumping in the shower and say goodbye to tangled hair in the shower.
7. Use a thicker, more heavy duty oil if your hair is very dense or coarse. If your hair is thinner you should opt for a lighter version. Personalise your hair oil to work for you.
1. Joico K-pak Colour Therapy Restorative Styling Oil $21.38
Joico says emulsify a drop or two in your hands and apply to damp hair, starting from the ends up. Style and dry as usual… but then go back and add a tiny drop more for a one-two punch of shine.
2. Joico K-pak Colour Therapy Dry Oil Spray $22.91
Thick oily products that weigh down your hair be gone! With just the lightest spritz of this spray your hair will be replenished with a silky shine to your hair that protects colour and fights flyaways.
3. Moroccanoil Original Oil Treatment $49.50
Probably one of the more well-known hair oils, people swear by Moroccanoil for a reason. That reason is it’s the lightest, most nourishing oil for hair and is suitable for basically any hair type. It blends perfectly with other products and even speeds up drying time.
4. Tigi S-Factor True Lasting Colour Hair Oil $29.01
This is a lovely lightweight formula which smoothes the hair cuticle for all day frizz control. Adds glossy shine and silky softness.
So if you’re not using a hair oil already – what are you waiting for?
Get ready for the softest, shiniest hair ever.
Argan oil has been on the market for a while, but the hype isn't dying down! Discover why argan oil hair and skincare are still beauty routine essentials.
2018-02-28 00:42:25 •
2016-08-25 12:52:26 •
By Renee Volck
2016-08-08 12:15:49 •
By Renee Volck
All eyes were on Meghan Markle's wedding makeup when she married Prince Harry on May 19th. Here's a step-by-step guide to recreating this natural look!
2018-05-21 04:48:33 •