In this modern era, it is hard to go online without having skin experts, beauty bloggers and your next door neighbour telling you what and what not to do in regards to your skin. We get it, skin care is important if you don’t want to look 75 when you’re 40. So we’re jumping on the band wagon, buying this product and that product, boosting collagen production, firming skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. And this is a good thing. But there are some bad things that you do, every day, that will jeopardise the hard work these products are doing for your skin.
5 Ways You’re Ruining Your Skin Every Day
1. Not wearing sunscreen. You can use 20 of the best products on the market, but without a decent sunscreen you might as well throw your money in the bin. Without a broad spectrum sunscreen incorporated into your daily routine, you leave your skin susceptible to hyper pigmentation, dullness, lines and wrinkles and dehydration. There is no better insurance for your skin than wearing broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVB and UVA rays. Choose something with at least SPF 30+ as your last step before applying your makeup for the day. This will keep your skin looking young and healthy.
2. Sleeping in your makeup. Your skin needs to breathe at night. If you don’t let it breathe, it can cause your pores to become clogged, leading to break outs. You are also transferring all the bacteria that builds up on your face throughout the day straight onto your pillowcase. Read below to find out how dirty pillowcases effect your skin.
3. Picking at your skin. This includes picking zits, dry skin and all that other good stuff that appears on your face. I’m talking about those of you who stand under the brightest lighting, stare at the mirror and annihilate every single blemish on your face. Most won’t admit to compulsive skin picking, but I know you’re out there. While you may think that picking and popping your zits and blemishes is the fastest way to get rid of them, it actually causes marks, scarring and can even cause infections. When you’re squashing a pimple,you’re often pushing some that gunk back down into the skin when you squeeze, causing more pimples.
4. Sleeping on a dirty pillow. If your pillow isn’t laundered regularly, it will create a build up of dirt and grime. Right where you’re laying your face for 8 hours each night.. Remember to change your sheets and pillowcases at least once a fortnight. Consider trying a silk pillowcase that your skin can glide over, as opposed to cottom which can cause scratching and tugging on delicate skin resulting in premature skin stretching and sleep-creasing. It’s good for your hair too.
5. Over Cleansing. Don’t get me wrong, you need to cleanse all the dirt and grime off your skin at the end of the day. But the skin is made to be a barrier; naturally keeping out the dirt while keeping the good oils and moisture in. When you over cleanse, you could strip your skin of everything that makes it healthy. Over cleansing can cause rashes, allowing product permeate the skin that shouldn’t (such as sunscreen). Constant cleansing sends your skin into panic mode, causing the oil glands to go into overdrive, leaving you at risk to adult acne. It’s all about balance.
Are you a sunscreen skipper? A skin picker or an over cleanser? Well it’s time to stop ruining your skin. If you’ve been following all the tips for skincare and think your routine is ‘by the book’ but it’s still not making a difference to your skin, now you might know why.