All a girl wants is sleek, smooth, glamorous looking hair. Is that too much to ask? Instead, more often then not, your hair MIGHT co-operate at the top (with copious amounts of styling product) but why are the ends still looking so ratty?
The answer is dreaded SPLIT ENDS.
Split ends are when the ends of your hair split – pretty obvious. Sometime your ends can split more than twice creating that disheveled, frizzy look you detest. You can get rid of your split ends by cutting them off, but if you’re trying to grow your hair long you don’t really want to be cutting your hair every other week.
So what causes split ends? And, more importantly; How do we get rid of them?
Causes of Split Ends
1. Heat Damage – this might be a no brainer but constant application of hot hair tools including straighteners, curlers and blow dryers sucks the moisture out of your hair, leaving dry, brittle ends prone to splitting.
2. Frequent dyeing of hair – Hair dye is chocked full of chemicals that don’t go well with the natural chemical composition of your hair. Constant hair dyeing will leave your hair texture is compromised with rough feeling ends that will more than likely be split.
3. Strong hair product – Hair styling products including hair spray, wax, gels etc also contain nasty chemicals that if used too often can damage your hair follicle.
4. Excessive Washing – Over shampooing can actually be doing more damage than good to your hair. If you wash your hair too much, it actually becomes weaker and can cause split ends.
5. Lack of Maintenance – Your hair does have to be cut every once in a while! You should cut your hair at least every 6 weeks to keep split ends at a minimum, as well as giving your hair a deep nourishing treatment equally as regularly. We like the MoroccanOil Intense Hydrating Mask.
How to Banish Split Ends Completely
1. Minimise the amount of heat you apply to your hair. Try and style your hair only once or twice a week.
2. Minimise the amount of chemicals you put on your hair by either getting highlights, or using a natural dye instead of straight hair dye.
3. Again, by only styling your hair once or twice a week you can cut down on the amount of styling products you are using, and the amount of damage you put your hair through.
4. Try and keep your hair washing to once or twice a week. Your natural hair oils are good for you!
5. Get your hair cut regularly, and treat yourself to a hair mask or even a leave in conditioning treatment/oil.
If you’ve tried all of the above methods without much success – I’ve saved a little miracle cure until last.
Introducing the brand new product from ghd – leading innovators in electrical & hair styling products.
ghd Advanced Split End Therapy works to nourish and fortify damaged ends for sleek, shiny hair that feels smooth for up to 10 washes. Activated by the heat of your hair styler this product contains a blend of nutrient-rich ingredients including Red Seaweed that help to restructure hair and nourish dry, damaged ends while smoothing and sealing the hair follicle. After just one use of this little beauty your hair will feel stronger, look more sleek and shiny AND you will see a visible reduction in split ends for up to 10 washes.
1. Skip your conditioner – you won’t need it.
2. Take towel-dried, shampooed hair and squeeze a 20c piece amount of product into hands.
3. Apply through ends of hair or wherever you see split ends
3. Comb out product for even distribution (we recommend ghd Detangling Comb)
5. Pass your straightener over hair to seal in the product
Do you struggle with split ends?
Are you going to try the new ghd Advanced Split End Therapy?