Writer and expert /
The biggest fear with fake tanning is looking fake! If you want to avoid looking like this…
… Then keep reading! Ry has the best 10 tips for you!
1. Skin Prep – You should not Tan your skin until you have fully exfoliated! Exfoliating removes all dead and dry skin and gives the tan a smooth, even surface to glide on to. If you are experiencing patchiness in your tan this could be why. The tan will automatically grip to dry spots particularly around the palms, knees and elbows so pay extra attention to these spots when you are exfoliating.
2. Shave! – Shaving is essential before tanning, as you don’t want to have nice, freshly applied tan and then shave off your product. It is also best to do it a day before you are going to tan as the skin is sensitised after shaving and may cause a reaction.
3. Application – It sometime helps to apply a bit of moisturiser or body cream to problem areas such as elbows, knees and ankles, to avoid tan build up in these areas. Using a tanning mitt is also beneficial to getting an even, streak-free tan, as well as avoiding nasty tan residue on your palms. If you do notice the tan darkening any areas on your body, just grab a towel and buff the colour down.
4. Tanning your Face – It can be nerve racking to apply tan to your face, but facial tans generally have softer ingredients to prevent break outs. If you are still too nervous to apply a face tanner, try using a darker foundation that will match your body, or apply bronzer to your face and neck.
5. What’s your Formula? – There are three main types of tanning formulas; Cream, Spray and Mousse. The creams are generally the most moisturising option, but they don’t often have a colour-guard, which makes it hard to see where you have already applied and can lead to a streaky tan. The sprays are great for a top-up, but can often be messy and hard to make even. The mousse is by far the most popular option, especially if you are new to tanning. They are easy to apply, blend and have colour visibility.
6. What’s your Shade? – If you’re going for a natural looking tan and you have fairly pale skin, it is better to apply a few coats of a light-medium shade tan, instead of going right in with a dark tan as you might end up looking fake. You should also do a test patch because different skins react differently to tan. A light-medium shade might be throw darker on your skin than you may think.
7. Organic Tan – There are some new formulations that have plant-derived tanning agents such as the new St Tropez Naturals Range. They are certified organic and are perfect for those with even the most sensitive of skin.
8. Endurance – To ensure your tan withstand it is important to stay hydrated – inside and out. Drink a lot of water but also remember to moisturise day and night. You may also like to try to a colour booster. Colour boosters contain a percentage of DHA (dihydroxyacetone, the sugar derived tanning agent found in most tans) which will help keep your colour rich, and extend the life of your tan an extra day or two.
9. Gradual Tan – If all the above information is overwhelming you there is a simple alternative – Gradual Tanner. This is more of a mixture of tan and body cream that you apply everyday to allow a slow build up of colour. As gradual tans contain less DHA than other tans, you can just slap it on without fear of streakage.
10. Extra Definition – To add some extra definition to your tan, use bronzer or highlighter to set off areas such as collar bones, shins and abs (if you’re willing to show that much).
Look summer ready and feel confident without harming your skin with UVA rays. Fake tanning is easy and can look natural if you follow these 10 easy steps!
Ever wanted to protect your skin while building a gorgeous, golden tan? Institut Esthederm are the unique French brand here to help you achieve your dreams.
2018-01-22 03:16:37 •
2015-05-20 16:30:34 •
By Renee Volck
2015-04-21 11:32:35 •
St.Tropez really covers all the aspects of self-tanning. They have set the benchmark in self-tanning and make it affordable, manageable and versatile.
2014-09-25 10:19:23 •