Winter in Australia is officially here and according to our Instagram feed, every second person is heading off to to bask in the European sun, while sipping cocktails and eating delicious food (no, we’re not at all jealous– in case you were wondering).
It’s not all fun in the sun though. With every overseas trip comes the part dreaded by everyone: the long-haul flight. Not only is flying uncomfortable and exhausting, it can really take the life out of your complexion. The combination of pressure and varying temperatures draws the moisture out of your skin, leaving you looking and feeling dehydrated and puffy. Not quite the look you were hoping for to start off your Euro escapades.
Our biggest tip for keeping your skin looking and feeling its best during the flight and once you land is to focus on applying some ultra-nourishing skincare pre-flight, rather than doing too much on the plane. This may go against everything you’ve ever been told when it comes to travel skincare, but when you really think about it– it makes a whole lot of sense! The air on a plane is super dry and partly recycled. When air is dry it tries to burgle moisture from wherever it can, and unfortunately unprotected skin is usually its first victim! When it comes to pre-flight skincare it’s important to focus on a routine and products that are going to seal in your skins moisture and keep it protected.
Here’s what a perfect pre-flight skincare routine looks like
- Start by layering an essence onto your cleansed skin. An essence is almost like the primer of the skincare world. It works to add moisture while prepping skin for the next products, helping them to penetrate the skin more effectively. We love Rodial’s Dragon’s Blood Essence Mist for its anti-inflammatory properties and no-fuss spray applicator.
- Next, it’s time for serum. We’d recommend a Hyaluronic Acid based product, which will help draw moisture to the skin, keeping it nourished and hydrated throughout your flight. The Ordinary “Buffet” Multi-Technology Peptide Serum is a great option, especially for those wanting to save some coin (the more money you have for your holiday fund the better!) The name ‘buffet’ is literally a reference to a dinner buffet, except rather than having multiple different cuisines to indulge in- this formula combines an array of technologies that’ll target multiple signs of ageing at once. Yay for multi-tasking.
- By now your skin should be feeling nice and hydrated. The goal is to keep it feeling like that throughout the flight, which can be achieved with a little help from our friend: moisturiser! The thicker the better, your moisturiser is essentially going to lock in all of the product you applied during the previous steps. Skinstitut Moisture Defence – Ultra Dry is a great go-to. It soothes the skin and hydrates intensely. It’ll also feel like heaven on sunburn if you fall prey to the European sun during your holiday.
- Arguably the most important step is a face oil- so we’d really recommend not skipping out on this! An oil is going to act as a barrier, which stops the moisture from deep inside your skin evaporating. Kill two birds with one stone using Antipodes Blessing Anti-Pollution Light Face Serum, a lightweight, oil-based formula that also provides a barrier against pollution.
- Seal the deal with an ultra nourishing lipbalm. LANOLIPS 101 Ointment Multipurpose Superbalm works to solve a multitude of skincare woes you might face during your holiday (chapped lips, dry cuticles, dry, itchy skin, dry nasal passages etc) making it the perfect travel buddy.